Search this Blog

Pageviews

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Colorless transparency 💫

 


In response to my friend Ogawa's post about "colorless transparency," I spoke with audio enthusiasts in Hong Kong, and it seems they are also seeking "colorless transparency sound" or "original sound" in their audio systems. So, I explained why most of the people sitting here prefer wine, beer, tea, coffee, or soft drinks over water. It's because these drinks have a good taste, even if they're not healthy (laughs).

Professional audio engineers choose various types of mics and angles/distances to capture the sound of instruments. For recording, they use a wide range of preamps, equalizers, filters, compressors, and reverbs. They want to create sounds that deliver the true flavor of the "original sound" to the human ear, rather than just playing back the recorded "original sound."



Rudy Van Gelder, one of the herald of sound transparency 


As a vintage audio enthusiast, I can say that the most important value of amplifiers and speakers is not simply to reproduce sound, but that the color of the sound is always included in the audio equipment, creating sounds that are different from other devices. While many people focus on reproducing sound, I place emphasis on reproducing the music itself, and on the sound I prefer.


Thanks to Alan Leung.



No comments: