Search this Blog

Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Devon goes sub-bass 😳

 


So, I’ve been getting a LOT of questions about the 31.5” Super Sub. I’ve been lusting after this driver for at least 15 years. It’s a kind of standard in the extreme @_listening_room_ features in MJ. I’ve been trying to convince clients to let me build it for them for years, but I think the concept was too extreme for most people on paper. After much consideration, I figured out that I could fit the cabinet up the stairs and into my room. About seven months ago I went all in and ordered four drivers, as they’re hand made and have a long lead time. What I didn’t consider was the immense weight of the empty cabinet. It is unmovable by @_moyasin_ and I. Even with a third super strongman it was honestly terrifying bringing it upstairs. However… the performance has FAR exceeded my hopes. 

Although it might not be the deepest bass I’ve ever heard, it’s by far the most tonally rich, fast and articulate. With some obvious references to the classic EV 30W (ultra light, ultra stiff, styrofoam like cone, low extrusion and giant surface area), in a simple, but fairly large, bass reflex cabinet, tuned to about 16 Hz, I prefer this sub to any horn loaded sub I’ve heard for HiFi. 

I’ve tried many subs with varying degrees of satisfaction, but to be honest I tend to turn them off when listening to acoustic music and going for realism, but now I realize how much music there is in the low Hz. This is the first sub I’ve heard that plays down effectively into the mid-low 20s that adds to every musical performance I play. It’s been one of those breakthroughs that makes you want to re listen to your whole record collection. So many records are playing like I’ve never heard them. I’m a bass head again!! 




Even on the heaviest bass I can throw at it, the cone barely moves, effortlessly throwing a 40-50 foot long wave of pressurized air. It’s not the gusty, lumpy sound I expect from a sub. In fact, you don’t hear a sub at all. It’s just music that extends down to the limits of human hearing. 

Thanks to Devon Turnbull for the above… I wish him the most telluric experience 🥂💪🥂



No comments: