Search this Blog

Pageviews

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bach's Six Cello Suites





This very musical masterpiece "owns" me since my boyhood, as my mother used to listen to it, as I learned about its title getting older (always without knowing who performed it); sometimes she was reading in dimmed light, a book on her laps, more often plainly listening to it with her closed eyes, humming ... years ago, I finally bought the RCA/Seon Anner Bylsma's 3 records-set of this Bach's monumental opus which I enjoyed, BUT always with a different feeling from my beloved, mind-carved musical remembrance...

... an occasional music lover would say: "It's same music, don't you? Uh... uh...";-)

It happened I recently purchased a linen covered, N.O.S. Archiv 3 records-set of Pierre Fournier on Cello...

That's IT!!!!

I immediately recognized the long, long missed playing I still so well remember during my long afternoons as a boy and a student - myself studying and mom lovingly playin' Pierre Fournier's magnificient Bach...

The Fournier vs. Bylsma is like looking at a great landscape from another point of view... Fournier's more classic and timeless... Bylsma is technically amazing, with a tad of coldness the Fournier simply don't show... never fatiguing or boring also in a 6-sides fix during a lazy cold Saturday afternoon listening...

Glad, soooo glad I re-found this performance... from time to time I asked myself - as mom's record maybe get lost or something during several movings in the decade, before the full blooming of my musical passion - who was the cellist... Casals... nope... Rostropovich... neither... maybe Starker... no...

Feel me - just a little - like "Forrest Gump";-))) - BUT must say... thanks, mom... thanks, Archiv... and thanks a lot, monsieur Fournier.

... so discs are only plastic slabs, uh? Feel me back home...

No comments: