That’s a result of politicallly correct: the purge of a classic cover-artwork in the name of… pure bigotry, since no sane person would find any Lolita-ish perversion in this splendid album and its cover!
The truth is in the eye of the beholder.
(At least here above, the censored cover is justified by the limited edition CD layout, always like this also with other titles)
While here, a straight censored strip was used…
💫




4 comments:
I'll admit that I have always disliked that cover. Not because I think it lewd or pornographic -- although I did and do find it creepy -- but because I disliked everything about it. I don't think I had a copy myself in 1969 when it came out but I had friends who did and I seem to recall it was always carried around with the gatefold folded inside-out, so that the black-and-white band pictures were what was seen.
The picture of the girl, the colours, the rather cheesy design -- we never understood what it was supposed to represent, if anything, and I didn't know anyone who actively liked it. (But I was only fifteen or sixteen...)
I think the main problem is that with what we now know about the most egregious sexual predators it has become impossible to look dispassionately or entirely objectively at the artwork. Consequently, I can to some degree understand the caution with which it is treated. However, I do also recognise the hypocrisy and self-righteousness this often entails... But I wouldn't go to the barricades to defend it -- simply because I don't think it's good enough to warrant defending.
Just thinking aloud, as it were...
Dear Alun, I understand you PoV… sure I can't help but think of sad cases of sexual predation on minors... but here only naive provocation and perhaps bad taste are at play... but, I repeat: I fully understand your reasons.
Twogoodears said: "but here only naive provocation and perhaps bad taste are at play..."
I think I tend to agree.
🙌
Post a Comment