This amazing disk, handmade (yes! look at the artwork...) by Giorgio Salomon and Gino Pavan, with a gorgeous cello played by G. Frezzato on track 4, is a recently discovered beauty, a little gem.
It happened while I was driving in the Dolomites and I was listening to RAI Radio 3 "L'Idealista", a cool program of adventurous, seldom aired and heard music, one of the few still surviving the shitty musical offerings coming from the radio, once a goldmine.
The other intriguing and enriching programs are "Sei Gradi" and "Battiti", always on Radio 3... then, a desert!
Well, I was driving and the program was about H.P. Lovercraft's related music, which immediately captured my attention, as HPL was and still is a fave and a youth hero of mine.
I wrote in the past about the weird time-warping effect of listening to Wendy Carlos' Beauty in the Beast while reading HPL’s novels!
Names like Nyarlathotep, Cthulhu, Necronomicon and R'lyeh resonate deeply and then this music!
Shortly after listening to Tekeli at the radio, I realized the disk was played and produced by Giorgio Salomon, a great music lover and collector who I met several times at concerts and sometimes briefly chatted... we sort-of lived music in parallel, as we used to hang out at same record shops and buy same elusive, now sought-after, collector's items over the decades.
it was quite natural for me to contact him and ask for more informations about what I listened to at the radio.
A few days ago, we managed to meet and we chatted as old friends with common background and he kindly handed one of the few remaining disks.
He proudly told me about the recording, which originated from some homemade tapes recorded decades ago, then manipulated and over and over (up to 64 layers at some point!) to get this dreamy, yet dynamic, sometimes explosive soundscape.
The HPL's reference isn't purely literary but - as a lover of the genre - a true soundtrack to the Ancients' cosmogony with a dark, timeless atmosphere which push the listener to get HPL's books from the shelves and deep diving in this otherworldly parallel universe.
Music-wise, the disk reminded me of some Dead Can Dance, Amon Düül II, Third Ear Band. Tangerine Dream and Brainticket, but are only suggestions as the music is quite unique, dissonant and fractal... but most of all, beautiful and immersive.
Kudos to Giorgio.
P.S. - a very limited quantity of this disk could be still available directly from the Author, so - you curious daredevil from Outer Space - feel free to contact me and I'll put you in touch with Giorgio Salomon.
💫






No comments:
Post a Comment