Search this Blog

Pageviews

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Dark Side of the Moon Redux: I’m amused to death 😱

 


A disclaimer: the following is my personal opinion about Roger Waters’ Dark Side of the Moon Redux, and doesn’t affect my appreciation for his indubitable merits as a musician.

*******************************************

I admit: I loved Pink Floyd since early ‘70s when I drooled to Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, More, Ummagumma and when (original) Dark Side of the Moon was issued and, like everybody did, I bought it… well: I shouted about betrayal, as it sounded less spontaneous and freaky of its predecessors, a bit Yuppie-ish…

… but time, growing up, and increasing musical experience, I learned to appreciate it, even to love it.

I am musically omnivorous and beside continuously expanding my tastes and records collection, I continued to follow Pink Floyd and its members solo works…

I sadly followed the decades-long Roger Waters vs. David Gilmour vs. Pink Floyd diatribe, the endless poisonous world-renowned fight which doesn’t concern about Music, at all.

When I read about Roger Waters TDSOTM Redux project, my first thought was: “why?”



Two days ago I listened to RW’s “Amused to Death” and appreciated it for its qualities (songs, engineering)… then, put on my turntable platter Redux’ and… it sounded dull, pretentious, over-produced and -engineered, dynamically flat in terms of “surprise” - i.e. - original Dark Side was an aural journey, various and intriguing with awesome sound-effects, melodies and perfectly modulated compositions: a masterpiece.

Mr. Waters’ grueling deep voice and the Pink Floyd’s only-hinted melodies in the background are - simply said - boring and disturbing.

I had to hardly push myself to complete the listening of the double vinyl disc.

The above mentioned “why?”  became a strong, loud “WHY?!?” and felt a sincere sense of relief when I put the dark-tinted cover in a plastic sleeve and on a shelf.

I had to objectively think about what I experienced: a 70+ years old billionaire, whose huge ego created this monster.



Another 70+ years old billionaire, Nick Mason, still enjoying (beside his Ferraris’ and McLarens’) his bright Pink Floyd’s heritage and still loving playing, per se… well, he went on memory-lane with his Saucerful of Secrets’ project with much more class and respect for PF’s masterpieces of the past.

Mr. Waters’s anger badly goes with Art and the result it gets out of Redux is, to my ears, annoying and utterly disturbing… 

Mr. Waters signing a lottery-disc prize for fans 

His … Redux lacks any bravery of youth and studio cleverness of original Dark Side’s… for me, it’s a strong, sadly painful “no!”

My five, painful cents.

Curtains…





No comments: