Search this Blog

Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2022

John Cage’s Music of Changes, The Peak 13” and DMT25 and SUT rolling - an update

 





I’d be tempted to begin and finish this very post, leaving just the (cryptic?) title and the above three pictures… 

… but I’m well conscious more words are needed 😏 

I spent about ten hours listening in awe to The Peak 13” arm with Analogtechnik DMT25 cartridge and Western Electric 618B, then, suddenly, a sense of falling out of love came… 

Sound was very dynamic and detailed, but lacking something I well know: that “beefy”, thick, true to life sound I learned to appreciate: THE sound of Music.

No soundstage or depth of image and assorted hi-end hypes and lingo… just music.

The above mixed feelings pushed me to take off WE 618B swapping to Peerless 4685, then to Peerless 4611 and finally to Triad K241… this SUT-rolling left me exhausted… and always with the feeling Adam and Eve had when pushed out of Garden of Eden 😊😏🥳😇😊, if you understand me…

This early morning, listening to that voice in my head… I welcomed back home the lad… Tim de Paravicini’s masterpiece SUT aka The Head was back on duty, at its place, behind Garrardzilla.

What I immediately got was THAT sound I so much love… need, like the air I breathe!

The above mentioned, top contenders, were all gorgeously sounding trannies, but the uniqueness of TdP’s TX4 is the balance on all frequencies spectrum: no preponderance of lows, mids or highs,

Strange or not, this balance highlights the frequencies with greater sense of trueness and no listening fatigue or aural artifacts.

The Head is a keeper and a no-brainer… a music-friendly machine… 

Listening to that John Cage’s disc and the marvelously recorded grand-piano was more than enlightening: it clearly showed how right I was in returning to The Head and its righteous character, a piece of gear with a tad of the soul of its maker: the late, deeply and dearly missed Baron Tim de Paravicini ❤️‍🩹 .

Was it worth swapping from the 12” + APJ1 adapter to the 13” arm?

Definitely YES!!!

Is Gotorama sounding better?

Definitely YES!!!!!

Am I satisfied… 

Yes!

… not happy (the war in Ukraina, you know… no man is an island 😢)




No comments: