Search this Blog

Pageviews

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Disc of the Month - Big Bill Broonzy & Pete Seeger in NYC (Folkways 1956)

 

I collected Folkways Records’ discs since I was in my teens... please don’t ask why, my first Folkways’ disc was Roscoe Halcomb’s... to-day date, I own 50+ and sometimes when browsing in my discotheque I come across a disc I didn’t listened to in eons... 




This morning, it happened again: a great NYC radio live show, with interviews and jokes and all... truly a joy listening to Big Bill Broonzy giving with his very voice a definition of Blues... to me it sounds like someone would be asking to Leonardo Da Vinci about the Monna Lisa! and from his very own voice!!!

... and a seldom heard dueting of his guitar with Pete Seeger’s banjo... again, Big Bill wowing on a childish yet fond banjo rendition of a Bach’s Chorale’



Those were the days: a Sunday morning in NYC around noon, in 1956... another world, maybe another planet, sure a different era. 




Try to get this disc, folks... it’s not an audiophile recording, it’s just an honest, lively mono record... BUT, hey! it’s the Real Thing!

Stay safe, stay healthy.

Love everyone.



No comments: