Search this Blog

Pageviews

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Room






... maybe it's an alien virus debris of some sort in the air as - myself too, like Roman Bessnow (and who knows how many others around...) - felt the need or had to move my audio system to a new location.

The main reason for the change was the need for, aehm, well... more room;-), with - sincerely - my wife everyday increasing pushing me toward the idea of owning and enjoying a normally dressed, with normal, horns-free, furniture... a room for chatting with friends or having a dinner where the first topic be not "audio" and related!

I agreed and... I'm these days hauling stuffs and discs and gears to a dedicated room, call it a studio, my cave, a cocooning place, a very music-oriented space where I can smoke a cigar without annoying or being annoyed, alone or with friends...

In my years of reading about audio and music, I remember a gentleman from somewhere in Japan, Iwata-san, who, from the pages of "Le Cahier de l'Audiophile", was telling about his choice to leave his home and wife, not for a divorce... BUT for music...

... oh, oh?!?!

Something which is happening to myself, too... lucky enough to still love my wife as the first day we met, BUT not standing anymore the limits of a normally-sized apartment-room where also moving a cable proves to be difficult and wife unfriendly.

So, folks... here are the first pixes of "The Room"... as my friend Luigi told me few hours ago, as he knew about my new place, seems strange I didn't talk about it on my diary/Blog... unnatural;-)

Must agree, Luigi... strange this puffing, sweating, tiring so dense moment, allows me to think to the music room, the old, beloved, so well known one I'm slowly but unyelding dismantling, and which is more akin to a tree growing annual rings than a simple box... discs, disks, books, mags, music sheets, instruments, and gears... all these are like the inside of my pipe... the more I smoke it, the best is the tobacco flavour and my pleasure while smoking... the burnishing of a place, living in and with it, in symbiosis for endless hours, the emotions over emotions and room and listener interaction, an invisible "interplay patina" which possibly remains trapped in the walls. This counts...

The new place is larger - about 35 square meters vs. the busy 23 sq.m of the old - with an awesome, wooden 3,6 meters high ceiling and unparallel walls - a cool feature, indeed - and, most important, allowing me to think about previously impossible weights on the floor, being at ground level... thinking about the new huge bass-enclosures I'm in the making, weighting like a couple of grand-pianos for the pair...

The first listening sessions are VERY encouraging... waiting for the right mood which will allow me to properly & safely handle those fucking bulky and weighty drivers and horns and SET amps and open-reel recorder and Slate/Bronze/Shindo 301, etc. - I'm temporarily using my most portable gears, Zeiss-Ikon luggage shaped Klangfilm speakers (ahhh, those leather handles...) and the almost retired Marantz 7C preamp with Hiraga 20W or whatever I'm pleased to listen to, including my wife's Jolida JD-300B integrated, not bad, indeed, swapping everything so easily I'm embarassed; for this easyness and room airyness, I suspect I'd be very satisfied also with an I-Pod, as I'm experiencing truly special, relaxed hours reading or writing and enjoying the breathtaking (new?) freedom, floating in the weirdest music I wish to groove in...

Getting there after work and returning home for dinner or going there after dinner...

Free, as living a parallel life.

No comments: