Search this Blog

Pageviews

Saturday, May 26, 2018

... as crow flies... with a surprise














... a ladder... and voilà... I got a different point of view of my studietto... and a HUGE surprise: I gave a try to my old, faithful, trusty, beloved, vintage Marantz 7C, a piece of gears I acquired about 30 years ago and always carefully kept in top-conditions... first time, ever with the current layout and most important, power amp - i.e. the Nuforce MCA-20 Stealth 8-channels Class D beast.

Humbly said: that's the (only) problem when owning too much gears;-)... you risk to someway loose the target and miss some interesting combination... lack of time, laziness, whatever... shit happens.

I never gave a try to the ol' Marantz in a few months... too busy in swapping Mayer vs. Kaneda/Le Solstice vs. the plethora of passive line stages vs. Hiragas'... my fault.

... and...

The sound is so vastly unique: modern and unexpectedly, it proved to be - to my surprise - a truly heavenly matching... a veritable click of enormous proportions, with whole Gotorama.

Sound is extremely quick, full-bodied and rich in texture and micro/macro detailing... harmonics are first rate: one of my reference disks - i.e. last Meredith Monks' on ECM -  presents some strange hums from strings recordings... it goes back and forth, only when strings are injected in voices recording... a very subtle "defect" I only seldom appreciated to same extent.

The 7C's resolutes the above with great naturalness... only an example, yet everything is so enjoyable... and sounds like brand-new.

This 50 years old preamp never ends to give me shivers and goosebumps... and surprising me for its quality and musicality.

Thanks to Sid Smith and Saul Marantz for giving to the world gears with a soul.




No comments: