Saturday, August 29, 2026

John Renbourn’s first record 💫

 


This is JR’s first eponymous record on Transatlantic’s safety-copy master-tape from 1965.



Notice the “Renbourne” typo, a sort of old Anglo-archaism (i.e. towne, shoppe, etc.) quite often found on ‘60/70s English magazines when writing about John.




💫



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Stefano. JR's first self-titled LP seems to have quite a complicated history -- more complicated perhaps than the sleeve of the UK first press suggests. Mine is mono, as I believe all early pressings and repressings of it in the 60s were. In fact, Discogs -- which I know is fallible -- doesn't list a stereo press until a Japanese reissue in 1973.

    And yet the tape box you show is the *stereo copy*. I also see -- helpfully -- that it carries stamps from both Trident Studio (Soho, London) and IBC Sound Recording Studio. Now I think Trident must be where Renbourn is referring to in the old text on this own website where he says, 'Most of it was done in a little demo studio not far from Les Cousins in Soho. Someone had the keys to the place and a bunch of us went across and played for fun after the pubs closed.'

    So presumably the role of IBC Studios (Portland Place, London) was to engineer the stereo mix?

    And on a side-note, IBC Studios, it seems, was bought in the late-70s by Chas Chandler and renamed Portland Recording Studios -- that address was also home to George Peckham's Porky's Prime Cuts. I never knew that.

    Don't you find this kind of absurdly obsessive detail fascinating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your always quite unique knowledge and insights, Alun

    ReplyDelete